Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Prezi



Powerpoint is a fantastic way to deliver a multimedia presentation. If powerpoint is used effectively, it has the potential to help a diverse range of students understand and communicate through a variety of ways. Powerpoint can enhance learning and engage students . Powerpoint is not so effective if there is too much unnecessary information used, or when time is spent on the look rather than the focus.
Prezi is a presentation tool that is new to me and slightly difficult to understand at first, particularly because I am used to using Microsoft powerpoint. It took me a while to get over the fact that I was not making separate slides. Prezi has the user mapping out the information (video, text, images…) on the same page and then choosing the order in which it is delivered.
I can see Prezis’ educational potential straight away. I particularly like the way it seems to encourage getting straight to the point of what is needed to be communicated, rather than filling slides up with written information (Maybe it is just because I am not sure yet how to add lots of text, without filling up the whole ‘page’, or it could be because it seems to encourage more of a visual experience). Prezi looks great, and the way information can be zoomed in and out is effective in catching the attention and emphasizing particular information.
I also really like the way Prezi is similar to concept mapping or mind mapping, so is therefore helpful in getting the ideas flowing and across to the intended audience. I will need some practice, however, in showing only one idea at a time (through ‘hiding’ information I do not want to have shown yet and by working with a larger space ?), I also had a chosen ‘pathway’ for my Prezi, but it doesn’t seem to ‘work’ in my intended way, now that I have added it to my blog ?
References
http://prezi.com/hgjm18z36h75/why-should-you-move-beyond-slides/

Teachnology (2010) Powerpoint beyond the classroom what’s all the hype ?
http://www.teach-nology.com/tutorials/powerpoint/

No comments:

Post a Comment