Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Interactives & Educational Video







I have mentioned earlier that read write think interactive organizers, may be another good alternative to getting the ideas flowing in literacy tasks, as opposed to using the concept map. Click on the readwritethink links below and have a go, I love them! Unfortunately a lot of read write think organizers are unable to be saved. The organizers are fantastic, however, to use when acquiring and integrating knowledge and also for extending and refining. The venn diagram provides an opportunity for students to use the skill of comparison. (Marzono and Pickering, 1997)

(Please see attached comments for further analysis).

Brainpop Video and Movie Link

The following you tube clip will explain brainpop (another one of my favourites !) and I have included a link to one of their free movies. Videos have more potential than what we may think!, as long as we use them properly. What do you think of these tools ? (Please see attached comments for further analysis).





Link to movie


4 comments:

  1. The following comment was accidentally deleted due to a MS Word Meta HTML problem, which meant that I lost my post:-

    Hi Sadi, Wow! I've never heard of Brain Pop before, only You Tube, Teacher Tube and The Learning Place. I think this is a great tool and the categories make it easy to find videos. I usually use videos as an engagement tool which I refer back to throughout the lesson. While Wikis and Blogs can be used in Primary School, some early year students may have difficulty typing and making consistent comments. Making videos would be an easy way to get dialog within a format. Do you know of any other video type technologies? Kind regards, From Paul S.
    By Mr on Interactives & Brainpop Movies on 8/25/10

    ReplyDelete
  2. As above this has been retrieved:-

    Sadi, great find! I think that brainpop would definitely be an engaging tool in the classroom! I have never heard of this one before! just as the previous comment states i have only heard of YouTube and Teacher tube! I like it how they have interesting videos on each topic. I will definitely use this tool in the classroom good job :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. As Above concerning HTML related loss of original comment:-

    Yes, I have found that my mentor teachers, have been impressed with how engaged their students have been and the quality of student work, when I have used Brainpop. Some of the Brainpop ideas and resources, have also been appreciated. One of my better lessons used the video about what a simile is (under reading and writing ). The students also completed a simile match game and a poetry template (I had created these, rather than using the related Brainpop resources). As part of these 'fun' lesson students were learning sentence construction and reading strategies (interpreting the authors message). The downside to brainpop can be that some of the videos are related to the American Standards. Brainpop could also be a problem if teachers rely too much on the video alone. Brainpop recommend that the movie is paused, so students can come to some of their own understandings. They also suggest that teachers play part of it at a time, or even in some cases play the movie at the end of a See more... lesson ! Brainpop also suggest other related lesson ideas. The research on Brainpop is also interesting, but it is funded by Brainpop !
    By Sadi Myers on Interactives & Brainpop Movies on 8/25/10

    ReplyDelete
  4. As Above:-

    Hi paul, I guess it depends on the content. Brainpop can be particularly good for helping students grasp a range of difficult concepts, that may be otherwise difficult to teach. If I wanted to show students something about nature, other cultures or animals,for example, than I might go to National Geographic, rather than Brainpop or You tube. A good step by step 'how to' site, for example, could be videojug (Perhaps for how to make or cook something, and perhaps, therefore, also learning about process writing).
    By Sadi Myers on Interactives & Brainpop Movies on 8/25/10

    ReplyDelete